Friday, May 16, 2008

celebrate life...make some noise

Today was one of my most favorite days at Zeeland East, there is so much excitement in the air. Today was...the senior's last day.

It is so much fun to watch them celebrate with each other 12 years of education. 12 years of classes, recess, field trips, more classes, lunches, hallway conversations, dances, classes, sporting events, fine arts events and more classes. The tradition at East is to sleep over in the school parking lot. What a fun night of sharing memories and creating new ones. (To clarify I don't encourage ANY behavior that is illegal or going to hurt somebody or damage something.)

I have looked forward to this day for a weeks now, knowing this was my last "senior's last day." I smiled when I drove into the parking lot to see a group huddled around someone making breakfast. I laughed when the tractors drove in (another tradition) and my heart melted when I heard the senior chat around the "trash can" (don't ask).

Today though I was disappointed by some of our staff at East. Let the kids enjoy their last day together. As adults we know, this will probably be the last time they are all together. I was upset to hear teachers thinking their cars were in danger because of the tractors and then I just got angry. There are some AMAZING teachers at East. People who see things from a bigger perspective. They see the 30-35 students in their room not as "projects" to be graded, but people to teach and to learn from. So if one of the great teachers lets the students leave their class 2 minutes early, so they can say goodbye to each kid and give them a hug one at a time, why do others get mad? Why do those so "passionate" about the kids get made with a little noise?

Part of my job at East is to stop hallway distractions. SAYING GOODBYE TO SENIORS IS NOT A HALLWAY DISTRACTION!!!! Saying goodbye to students who have maybe stretch your mind or made you cry because of their work is not a distraction, it is a blessing.

To the teachers who hate noise...

I challenge you to let your guard down. See your students for what they are...people that matter.

To the teachers who make noise...

Thank you! Thank you for trusting the students with your life. For not only teaching them grammar, poetry or Pythagorean theorem, but teaching them what their words can do. For showing them that they can change the world, one penny at a time.

To the class of 2008...

Celebrate life and make some noise!!!!

No comments: