Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Irresistable Revolution

So ever since I read Shane Claiborne's book Irresistible Revolution, I have craved to live in the Simple Way community. Now, if you know me, you know I can't make my own clothes or grow my own food, but the deep community he talks about makes me jealous.

I am blessed. Everyday I wake up in a house and know there is food in the fridge. I know there is a car in the drive way that runs (most of the time) and will take me any where I point it. But lately I feel like I am blessed more than I deserve, because I am in the Simple Way. This summer I have been blessed to just share life with my neighbor and her preicous daughter as well as her dog (you all know I am a softie for the K9s). Tonight was know exception. We tried to catch frogs, talked about our days, the books we are reading or should be reading. When I moved back into my parent's house I pretty much thought my life was going to be dull and boring forever, but I know now that God wanted me back here for a reason. God wanted me to experience life with my neighbor. To chase her daughter around the yard and give her dog a treat every time I see her.

I have learned a hard lesson in my life over and over again. It is this, don't try and make your own plan, God's plan is always the right one. I challenge you all to step out of your house and see who lives next door. You don't have to grow food together or make each other's clothes, like Shane does, all you have to do is share life.

(But if you can eat yogart, pudding and peanut butter not on the bread, life is good.)

2 comments:

Becky said...

Right on!! We love just sharing life with you too! Even though it might have yogurt, pudding and peanut butter not on the bread. :)

Amy S said...

I'm there with you, friend! Why do I make life so complicated sometimes? I read Psalm 94 and a couple verses really convicted me "They crush your people, O LORD; they oppress your inheritance. They slay the widow and the alien; they murder the faterhless." The first time I read it I wondered who "they" were and was glad it wasn't me. Then I realized what a hypocrate I am and God showed me that the "they" in these vereses is ME! I am guilty of murder b/c I have cupboards full of extra food while millions around the world are dying of starvation. I am guilty of not standing up for aborted children or forgotten widows. I am guilty of living in my little bubble of comfort & safety and forgetting about all the poor & oppressed all around me. I know God is gracious and forgiving, but I just can't help but think some things need to change big time in my own life and in these good 'ol United States. Life is NOT about ME! Yes, Shane has so much right in his book. I pray we can all learn to live that simple life that Jesus calls us to. Thanks for reminding us of that and leading the way!