Sunday, October 12, 2008

do you remember...



Tonight Haven CRC, First Reformed and Faith Reformed stood as one body at the Lord's table, worshipping our Abba Daddy. During the service there was a special scripture reading, or at least it was special to me.

I think every Christian has their favorite scripture, the one you always turn to when it feels like the world is closing in on you. For me it is Hebrews 10:19-25. This was the scripture that Paul Boersema prayed over me, as I sat on a bench at Camp Geneva and accepted Christ as my LORD and Savior on July 13, 1997.

Tonight MOSAIC (senior high at Haven) also met for small groups. I really love this time. It is great to sit and have the seniors lead the groups and hear their heart cries. Tonight we talked about God's Chisel. What parts of your life does God have to chisel to allow you to look more like Him, to be the person He created you to be?

If I want to live by Hebrews 10, if I want to "hold onto the hope we profess" then I have to let God come in and chisel away the hard, painful parts of my life. The parts of fear, loneliness and always comparing myself to others. I need to let God come in and chisel. It is incredible painful, but "He who promised is faithful."

Hebrews 10:19-25

19Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. 23Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.


What is your special scripture?

No comments: