Tuesday, May 12, 2009

ponderings

I am still alive folks. I am not sure how many people check my blog anymore, due to my lack of posting. I have been walking through a journey of surrender lately. I am still in it and I am still learning what it truly means to be a Christ follower everyday. There are so many things running through my head and heart to write about, but I will focus on one.

Today my friend Amy and I drove to Chicago to see where I will be bringing a group of Middle School students this summer. It was so hard to drive through Albany Park where we will be staying and hear the facts of the area...

~37 teens have been shot in the past 34 weeks in gang related events. One teen was shot, because he DIDN'T want to be in a gang.

~In one elementary school there are 1200 students, that speak 22 different languages and 3 African dialects.

~ Only 10% percent of students graduate from High School.

It was so hard to hear all of this and the list goes on and on. I wondered where is their hope? What do they cling to when hey just want to give up? Just 5 minutes down the road are huge buildings about 15 Starbucks and sculptures that the money spent to build them could have helped the people. Downtown people walk around at a fast paced, rushing from one thing to the next. In Albany Park, people don't have anything to get to so they just stroll along the road.

I was very convicted by everything I saw today. What do I do that I don't need to? What can I give up that would help someone in need? What can I do to slow down my pace and actually look at people in the eye when I see them?

It was a great day. God is so good. He revealed Himself through a beautiful lake, a beautiful preview of the trip for the summer and a great day spent in conversation with my kindred spirit.

I love you Jesus. My hope is in you, no matter what this journey of surrender brings!

1 comment:

Kim Lubbers said...

It's about time that you updated! Just kidding... sounds like the middle schoolers are going to learn a lot on their trip to Chicago... some sad facts you listed!