Tuesday, June 23, 2009

bittersweet

Well today was a bittersweet day for me. It was my last office day at Haven. Even though I am employed through the end of July, I had to change my summer hours at Starbucks, which meant no more Tuesdays off, plus every Tuesday from now until the end of July either Amy or myself will be on a trip, so today was it.

I got to church early and spent some time in by myself working, praying and remembering all the great things that have happened on Tuesdays for the past 6 months. My time as a staff member at Haven has taught me a lot of things. I have learned proper servant leadership. I have worked along side some great people who have shown me what it takes to make a church run, even if you haven't had a pastor for almost 2 years. It has been great!! I was praying that I wouldn't dwell on the sadness of me leaving, but just have fun and I did. After a productive morning and VERY good lunch (thanks ladies) Amy and I headed out to run errands. That is when the side splitting laughter started. We ended the day in pray and it was great. I am blessed!

Sunday I played guitar during worship. God showed up. Our sound board was damaged in the big storm Friday night, so it was a very intimate, acoustic worship service. During the service God spoke to me. I have been DREADING leaving Haven. They are my family. I have walked through a lot of brokenness with the people there and because of it, my faith has been strengthen. As I sat, played the bass and watched people worshipped, I realized it was going to be okay. Leaving is still going to be hard, as I type this the tears are already flowing, but it is going to be OKAY!!! God is going to open a door for me to do full time youth ministry and I am going to be obedient and walk through it. My plan would be to stay in West Michigan, but we all know how God laughs at our plans. So I am surrendering it all to Him. If He wants me in California, I will go. If He wants me in Grandville, I will go.

Today, was bittersweet. The reality is, I might not be at Haven much longer, but the good news is God has a plan.

4 comments:

Kim Lubbers said...

When I was worshipping with you Sunday morning (despite taking out Hudson several times:) I could tell you had a peace about you that I can't explain! So awesome how you are listening to God's voice, we will pray for patience as you follow His plan for you!
Love ya!! Kim

Becky said...

I just about fell over when I saw that you had updated your blog. I had to rush right over to read it. You sure looked like you were having fun yesterday with Amy. I'm so glad that you're feeling peace. We serve an amazing God and I am excited to see how he plans out the rest of your life. Remember- let go of the dream and start living the adventure! The lawn chair is always open..even on Tuesdays. :)

barb said...

When I think of you I think of a servant heart..a desire to live for Jesus...and a passion to run towards His will for your life.
I think of eyes Fixed on Jesus and hands lifted in surrender and worship. His church is in you:)..you are my sister and I thank God for the family He is putting together as His church!..In His Grip.barb

Amy S said...

You're right, friend... It WILL be okay. God's got it all under control. I praise Him for a great (and productive, too!) day yesterday and for what a blessing you are to me! No matter what the future holds... for either of us... we are still in the same Family... sisters in Christ! Love ya!